Monument to Antonio Vivaldi

The 2001 monument to Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741) in the Votive Park next to the Votive Church made of Carrara marble by Italian sculptor Gianni Aricò shows a group of figures with three female musicians, probably an allusion to Vivaldi’s teaching activities at the “Ospedale della Pietà” in Venice, formerly an orphanage for girls, where he gave young women access to the concert business.

In front of it is an inclined plate with a metal relief and a portrait of the famous Venetian-Italian baroque composer and violinist, who was also ordained as a Roman Catholic priest at the age of 25.

The initiators of the monument – the Vienna and Venice Lions Club – wanted to create a symbol of international understanding between Italy and Austria as well as a reminder of Vivaldi’s move to Vienna in 1740, where he died just 10 months after his arrival, unnoticed by the music world, and was buried in the Bürgerspital cemetery in front of the former city wall on today’s Karlsplatz, which is also commemorated by a memorial plaque.

Liberation of the Spring Fountain

The Liberation of the Spring Fountain, one of six fountains in the Stadtpark in the 1st district dating from 1903, shows two giant male figures struggling to lift a boulder that is obstructing the flow of water from a spring. The water flows from a gap that has already formed into an oval water basin at a lower level; between the group of figures and the fountain basin is a sculpted „natural rock“.

The Leithakalk fountain, designed by Hagebund artist Josef Heu, is part of a staircase leading to the lower Vienna river promenade opposite the dairy in the 3rd district and was purchased by the City of Vienna on the occasion of the VIII. Spring Exhibition.

Georg-Emmerling-Hof

The Georg-Emmerling-Hof municipal residential complex in the 2nd district – opposite Schwedenplatz – built in 1957 and renovated between 2019 and 2022 was named after the social democratic politician and Viennese deputy mayor (1919-1934) Georg Emmerling.

The building, designed by Arch. Rudolf Hofbauer, Elisabeth Hofbauer-Lachner and Leo Kammel, with six to seven-storey side wings flanking a single-storey building with a flat roof and store windows on the first floor, also has a landscaped courtyard.

In this courtyard there is also a sculpture of a goat by the sculptor Alois Heidel, who specialized in animal sculptures, whose emaciated appearance, probably alluding to the times of hardship survived during the Second World War, is said to have triggered discussions. Also worth mentioning is the two-storey half-sculpture Themroc from 2021 with a depiction of workers and two natural stone reliefs called „Market“ and „Harbour Motif“ on the façade facing the Danube Canal.

Karmelitermarkt

The Karmelitermarkt in the 2nd district is one of the oldest markets still in existence in Vienna. With over 17,000 visitors per week, it is one of the insider tips among Vienna’s markets.

There is a wide range of products on offer: in addition to cheese specialties, horse and bison meat, you can buy organic fruit and vegetables, various specialties such as honey, wood-fired bread and fresh fish or seafood. One of the largest farmers‘ markets in Vienna takes place on Saturdays in particular and around 60 squares are filled with colorful market activity.

As early as 1671, the market privileges granted by Emperor Leopold I allowed a weekly market for food and livestock to be held on the square in front of the Carmelite Church. In 1910, it was moved to the area still used today.

Hermesvilla

The Hermesvilla in the Lainzer Tiergarten in the 13th district was designed by the Ringstrasse architect Carl von Hasenauer in 1886 and was a gift from Emperor Franz Josef I to his wife, Empress Elisabeth. The palace was named after the statue “Hermes the Guardian”, commissioned by Elisabeth from the Berlin sculptor Ernst Herter, which is now located in the garden on the south side of the villa and is probably a reference to the empress’s love of travel as the patron god of travelers.

It is said that Franz Josef hoped to keep Sisi in Vienna for longer, but this was thwarted by her assassination around three years later. As well as providing an important impetus for the development of the hunting and nature conservation area and being one of the first buildings in Vienna with an electricity connection, the furnishings and paintings by Hans Markart, Gustav Klimt and Viktor Tilgner inside the country house are particularly noteworthy.

Now run by the Wien Museum, visitors can not only view the private apartments of the imperial couple, including the famous bedroom with its unique mix of historicism, Markart style and Secessionism, but also discover a range of private objects, regular special exhibitions and, of course, the magnificent surroundings.

View of Dornbach

From a path above a vineyard in the Ried Alsegg on the Alszeile, there is a wonderful view of the Dornbach district in the 17th district. Characterized by the Alserbach, the Heuberg is located to the south with the „Heubergsiedlung“, a housing estate that emerged from the settlers‘ movement in 1920. However, only fragments of the prefabricated houses designed by Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky and Adolf Loos remain.

In the valley, the Dornbach parish church on Rupertusplatz is clearly visible, embedded in St. Peter’s Abbey with a building history of almost 900 years, founded by the abbey of the same name in Salzburg. The parish church, which has been destroyed and rebuilt several times, was extended in 1931/32 according to plans by Clemens Holzmeister and rotated by 90 degrees.

I report on all this and much more during a walk through Dornbach. On this voyage of discovery on the edge of the Vienna Woods, we not only explore historic castles, villas and pubs, but also get an insight into the wine tavern culture with the famous Schrammel music and see the sweetest corner of Vienna.

Dorotheum Favoriten

In the listed branch of the Dorotheum auction house in the 10th district, built in 1929 according to plans by Arch. Michael Rosenauer, special auctions on the subject of „historical entertainment technology“ are also held in addition to weekly auctions.

The three-zone, cubist, block-like reinforced concrete building features slit-like, three-window groups spanning several storeys and houses a prestigious auction room on the first floor.

Rosenauer, who was open to new materials and construction techniques, was born in Wels in 1884 and studied under Karl König and Max Ferstel in Vienna in addition to his artistic training. Even before the Dorotheum was completed, he moved to London and contributed to the revitalization of slums and social housing, later planning residential buildings in elegant London districts. After a stay in the USA, he returned to London and designed, among other things, the administrative building of the Time-Life Group, which opened in 1953 with well-known sculptures by Henry Moore on the façade.

Mozart Monument

The monument to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, created by sculptor Viktor Tilgner and Arch. Carl König was unveiled on Albertinaplatz five days after Tilgner’s death on April 21, 1896. Soon after its unveiling, there were calls for a change of location, and after bomb damage during World War II, it was finally moved to the Burggarten in 1953.

The late historicist statue made of Lasa marble – a hard, durable and weather-resistant marble from South Tyrol – shows the composer with a music stand on a three-tiered pedestal with a keyboard-shaped upper edge and bronze instruments and a laurel wreath, flanked by angels playing music.

Below this, a bas-relief depicts the invitation and appearance of the Stone Guest from the opera „Don Giovanni“, a reference to the opening performance of the Vienna State Opera in 1869. On the reverse, the six-year-old composer is shown at the piano surrounded by his family with his father Leopold playing the violin and his sister Nannerl singing.

Domenig House

Named after the arch. Günther Domenig in the 10th district the Domenig House from 1979 is considered a major work of the avant-garde „Graz School“, a movement of the 2nd half of the 20th century with impressive cubatures and façades. Originally built as a bank building for the former Zentralsparkasse (now Bank Austria), it now functions as an office building for the Vienna Echo publishing house, among others.

The now listed „house with the kink“ directly between the subway and Victor-Adler-Markt has hardly any straight lines inside or out and features a sculpturally expressive self-supporting façade made of stainless steel panels, which is unusual for Vienna and appears to be squeezed between the neighboring buildings like sheds or veins.

Cookie Consent mit Real Cookie Banner